Monday, April 30, 2012

Rock Hill Presbyterian Demolition Continues

The demolition of Rock Hill Presbyterian continues, and the windows have now been removed and presumably stored for safe keeping.
The apse of the church has been removed, but I do not know if that was constructed of stone or not, judging from the foundations below where it once was.
The interior of the church is now visible, and the smell of old wood permeates the area.
I thought they said they're saving the stones, but there are dozens of stones tossed around the site. There is no sign of pallets, where the stone could be stacked safely.
The lintels above the windows have been removed as well, though I don't know if those are going to be saved either. I'm starting to suspect the rebuilding out in Warren County is going to be a far cry from the original church.

2 comments:

  1. Tom Maher - KirkwoodApril 30, 2012 at 8:54 AM

    I am far from being an arkyteck (or even a demoliton guy), but - to reconstruct a building accurately - don't you have to kinda number and stack the stones? And go from the top down?
    I could be wrong, but going from memory from waaay back when (always dicey), I think the apse was added "later."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fat Fingers On The KeyboardApril 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

      OK - I just wrote "demolition" 87 times on the blackboard.

      Delete

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.