Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Modernist Church, Pekin, Illinois

One of the busiest intersections in Pekin hosts no fewer than four churches that I could spot.In particular, I was interested in this Modernist church on the southwest corner. Its clean lines contrasted greatly with some of the older churches at the intersection.Looking closer, I realized I had seen a church similar to this one in Webster Groves, Missouri.
Sadly, the intersection is so hostile to pedestrians that the beauty of this Central Illinois "Holy Corners" is largely lost in the exhaust and speed of the automobiles flying by.

1 comment:

  1. Boy - this Pekin church looks identical to H.R. here in W.G.! Maybe there was a catalog similar to the Sears Craftsman homes that a congregation could order from? Interesting to explore that angle, what?

    It also reminded me of my GS parish church here in Kirkwood, St. Peters. It was built in 1953 and was quite revisionist at the time. It is largely unchanged today.

    ReplyDelete

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.