Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Holy Redeemer Church, Webster Groves

I couldn't get inside the church the day I was walking by, but I imagine that the interior is bathed in color from the stained glass windows.The front elevation is strikingly simple, and certainly a bold choice for the otherwise Victorian Era architecture of Webster Groves.The bell tower is a classic example of form following function; the tower holds the bells, and that is pretty much the extent of its form.I strongly suspect the curved structure on the front is the baptistry; I find it fascinating that they are separate rooms in so many Catholic churches in St. Louis, as it is quite common in Italian cathedrals.The side of the church features sleek lines that hide the windows from the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.