Monday, April 4, 2011

Brick Theft on the Northside Continues

I realized I needed to check up on some of my favorite houses in St. Louis Place and see how they were doing. On my way there, I encountered these victims of brick theft.The houses I have documented in the past couple of years still cling to life, if in the most extreme sense of the expression.I really don't think there's any hope to save these weather ravaged buildings, stripped of their most important structural element: their exterior walls.In the shadow of St. Augustine, the brick/junk yards are operating still, even if a couple have been shut down recently. If the City actually enforced its own laws, all of them would be closed, as anyone can see they are not reputable businesses from the street.I mean, when was the last time you saw a bunch of shady guys standing around a barrel burning garbage in front of an Applebee's? I'm worried they're going to decide that the dark tan bricks of St. Augustine's will make them money, and it will be attacked as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.