Monday, July 2, 2012

Armour Meat Packing Plant's End Coming Soon

Armour Meat Packing Plant, June 23, 2012

A couple of years ago, the new Mississippi River Bridge website published the following satellite image of the path of the Illinois approaches to the new bridge. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that only a portion of the historic stockyards around the old mule pens were in the way of the new road. My favorite ruin in the St. Louis area, Armour Meat Packing, sat uncomfortably close, but nonetheless safe for the time being.
You can understand my chagrin when I recently visited the site and found this new satellite image had been uploaded. If you look closely, you can see that new access road planned to be perpendicular to the new I-70 ends right in front of the main buildings of Armour. I would assume they plan on extending that road further, which of course would go right through the plant. Perhaps it's time for you to see it before it's gone.

4 comments:

  1. Chris: You wrote: " satellite image of the path" but didn't give a link to where the photo/graphic came from. I'ld like to have a look at that URL/site, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.newriverbridge.org/images/I70connection.jpg

      Delete
  2. Hey Chris. My plant is right there on route 3. I'll ask around and see if I can get any information on their plans. I know that Darling International is planning on expanding their plant right next to Armour and will be buying a good deal of the old stock yards property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone must save the De La Vergne steam compressor in the main building!

    ReplyDelete

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.