Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Near South Side on Broadway

I have become fascinated with the view from the White Castle parking lot on Broadway just south of Downtown.The group of building on the east side of the street are great, and in good condition as I think they've been recently rehabbed or stabilized.I love how the buildings go right up to the MacArthur Bridge, which seems to post-date the building below its massive steel superstructure.If you look closely, it appears that the last bay of the building was truncated for the bridge. Nowadays the entire building would be demolished, but apparently one hundred years ago the building was such prime real estate that it stayed.

1 comment:

  1. I've had fantasies of what I would do if I came across a good deal of money - infilling this area between downtown and Soulard is one of the key focus areas I'd look at. One of the biggest problems with downtown is not within downtown itself, but next to it - there are almost no neighborhoods feeding it pedestrians.

    ReplyDelete

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.