Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Old Roundhouse, East St. Louis

Nestled between the interstate and some railroad tracks, an old locomotive roundhouse sits in splendid isolation, hidden from the highway and the rest of East St. Louis.The interior is incredible, though rapidly deteriorating; I see the day when the roof completely collapses.I don't see this spot being cleared anytime soon; it is so isolated that it will probably remain here in some form for another one hundred years.What is cool is seeing everyday objects sitting around in the last place they were put decades ago.Also are visible are the names on office doors; the last occupants left the signs there when they left for the last time.

2 comments:

  1. That is amazing, could you perhaps e-mail me the location? I think this article is what I was looking for. I saw what appeared to be a roundhouse on google maps. If it's the same place then I regret to say that it is now nothing more than a foundation.


    -Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please check out my second post on the roundhouse:

    http://stlouispatina.blogspot.com/2009/08/east-st-louis-roundhouse-part-2.html

    Here is the location of the roundhouse, off of Illinois Route 3 in East St.Louis:

    http://tinyurl.com/2dqaf9r

    Is it in the same location? I didn't know they had possibly torn the building down, but perhaps it is not totally surprising since of it accelerating rate of decay.

    ReplyDelete

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.