Sunday, February 8, 2009

In Search of Alswel

In the grainy photo above, you can see my attempt to photograph one of the other legendary houses owned by the Lemp family, in this case one that looks like a giant Swiss chalet. It is unreachable due to a security gate, but you can see pictures here at the St. Louis County website. Also, the entire historic nomination file is here. Like its cousin Cragwold, up the Meramec River, Alswel represents a fascinating look into St. Louis's past, when Sunset Hills was a resort and the hideout of the city's industrialist families.Alswel sits at a strange bend in the Meramec, where it spreads out into a lake. Just like Cragwold, the best photograph I could get was from the bottomlands below the estate. The park at the bend in the river has these cool delta wing shelters.

6 comments:

  1. Many years ago, I drove around trying to find Alswel, and I distinctly remember driving right up to it on a public street to take a closer look. How odd? Either I was blatantly trespassing, or they have changed the streets up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they've added the security gate recently; the construction looked new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting link here - http://www.dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/88001460.pdf

    In the mid 80's this property was owned by a lady named Donnely who collected and sold antiques and nick-nacks. She used many of the out-buildings (one of which was the original carriage house - others were probably guest houses) to store some of the items she collected. When she passed away, her family sold what was left of the original estate immediately surrounding the main house to a developer, who built a gated subdivision around it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 1960 My father worked for Mercantile Trust Co. which held the Lemp Family Trust. The bank was going to sell the 192 acres with the House. My father and I went to visit the house. I walked throughout the house. It still had the Lemp Family furnishings in each room. In the Kitchen there was a "secret" door which opened to a long stairway which led to the Meramec River. The Carriage House held 3 Coaches waiting to leave. The Butler's house was on the south and looked like a minature chalet. I'll never forget the experience. I met Dorothy Donnelly. She only rented the property. When Edwin died, the Trust distributed the liquidated Estates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the interesting tidbits. I would love to get inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom and I went to look at antiques at this beautiful home, years ago. What a shame the beautiful home and acreage is gone. It was wonderful, like a dream to me.

    ReplyDelete

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.