Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wells-Goodfellow #2

I visited the Wells-Goodfellow neighborhood several years ago, focusing on St. Louis Avenue. I returned and while I tried to retrace my steps, I saw many new things.
I know that for many people, the neighborhood represents everything that is wrong with St. Louis, and dismissively refer to it as the "ghetto," but I want to be more idealistic.
Yes, it's disturbing to see just how badly this portion of the city has fallen, and much of the area looks semi-rural due to abandonment, which is what the neighborhood was for much of its history.
What remains is just as beautiful of any area of the city west of Kingshighway, but just a little rough around the edges.
I hope to get back soon and explore this varied and interesting area more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.