Friday, December 16, 2011

Sad State of Buildings in North St. Louis

I decided to check up on some of the victims of brick theft in several north side neighborhoods. Houses that I photographed earlier this year or even last year cling to their existence, as battered as they are.
Old North St. Louis is holding up, but I am saddened to see houses that I first saw five years ago continuing to sit empty. This stately house below would go for several hundred thousand dollars in some south side neighborhoods.
I really like this alley house, a remnant of the time when this neighborhoods was so densely settled that houses sprouted up on secondary streets.
Sadly, nothing is happening with the burned out hulk of Fourth Baptist Church, which could be a center of life and activity in the neighborhood if properly restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.