Friday, December 18, 2009

Apartment Buildings, Southwest, Washington, DC

After the clearance of thousands of rowhouses and viable corner businesses, the modernists came in and built their apartment towers in the their place. Erasing the grid and creating superblocks, the oldest portion of DC, the waterfront of Southwest, began to transform into a whole other world. See the buildings, great examples of the many Modernist apartment buildings from the air here.

I have to admit, I hated Southwest when I lived in DC, but now it has a strange sort of mid-century funkiness to it that I now like. Now don't get me wrong, the area is still dead and lifeless 24/7, but the architecture has grown on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blog detailing the beauty of St. Louis architecture and the buildup of residue-or character-that accumulates over the course of time.